Mentor Texts: Reading and Annotation
In order to represent your working definition of narrative non-fiction, you will continue to study the impact of author's choices regarding craft, content and style. You are looking for lines from at least 2 of the selections below that represent the characteristics of narrative non-fiction or are just plain good writing.
- The template is shared with you on google classroom!
- Click here for the "Literary Language" handout
Narrative Non-Fiction Excerpts and Short Pieces
- Storycorps.org Link- this is just a reference, not for our assignment but as part of our genre study, to check them out, click here!
- Sherman Alexie: Superman and Me
- Ned Vizzini: From Teen Anxt? Nahhh: "Nintendo Saved Me" and "Fifteen Minutes"
- Also from Teen Anxt- "Goofy Foot Forward"
- Michael Chabon: The Secret Skin From The New Yorker
- Jay-Z: From Decoded
- Amy Tan, "Mother Tongue"
- When I Was a Child Solder, by Valerie Zanatti- Excerpt
- Glass Castle By Jeanette Walls- Excerpt
- A Long Way Gone By Ishmael Beah- Excerpt
- Bossypants by Tina Fey- Excerpt