Intensives: Two Week Projects at TYWLS of Astoria
What Are Intensives? Click here for what and why!
Check out Sir Ken Robinson's famous Ted Talk on Changing Education Paradigms....!
Intensives at TYWLS of Astoria:
- Two week long project based courses, providing powerful elective opportunities for our 6-12 grade students. Classes are usually mixed grades (6th-8th grade or 9th-12th grade). A few courses have been a mixture of middle and high school. Electives, in this regard, mean a course outside of the "core" course requirements but are still aligned with the common core state standards in math or humanities.
- Courses are largely co-taught
- We stop our regular courses and spend all day with one class of 18-34 students, depending
- Focus on real world experiences: bring in experts in the field, go on numerous field trips to meet experts and have experiences in the field of study
Final Student Descriptions for Intensives- Winter 2015!
Intensives Planning Materials for TYWLS Teachers- 2016 2017
- Below are old planning tools and course overview examples: Please note, some of these were drafts or works-in-progress and haven't been polished beyond a working tool to inform our work.
Project Based Learning Resources
- Jeff Robin- PBL Guru High Tech High: Jeff's page has EXCELLENT "how to" and "what is this?" videos http://dp.hightechhigh.org/~jrobin/index.htm
- Buck Institute: http://www.bie.org
- High Tech High: http://www.hightechhigh.org/projects/
- Teach Thought PBL Resources http://www.teachthought.com/learning/project-based-learning/13-timeless-project-based-learning-resources/